High School Diploma

The Manitoba government recognizes that adults continue to learn throughout their lives and that they have gained much knowledge and many skills in most subject areas.  Because this life experience is valued, the Mature Student Diploma was created for adults as an alternative to the 30 credit diploma.  The Mature Student Diploma is not a GED, it is an eight credit diploma earned by taking actual high school credits.

Mature Student Diploma

Requires only eight credits:
*Four — Grade 12 credits
*Four — Grade 9 – 12 credits

Bring your transcript and staff will help you determine how many more credits you need to graduate and what you need to do to earn them. You could be a graduate soon!



Fast Track Your Way to Graduation

    The eight required credits could include:

  • Previous Credits
  • Recognition of Prior Learning
  • Dual Credits
  • Career Development/Work Experience credits
  • Apprenticeship credits
  • Resume and Portfolio Development



Recognition of Prior Learning:

Experiences at home, at work, or in your community may have left you with a unique set of abilities, skills and knowledge. In many cases, you may earn full or partial credit towards a high school course by demonstrating that you have already learned all or part of the content of a course. For example, if you have been doing your own home renovations, you could bring in photos, blueprints or sketches, and/or you could describe what you have done or write a test. You and your teacher will discuss the best ways for you to demonstrate your skills and whether there are any gaps in your knowledge of course content. To learn more about this process, speak to your teacher or visit www.wplar.ca or one of the many other sites that refer to recognizing prior learning in education or the workplace. (RPL is also known as PLA or PLAR – Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition).

Dual Credits:

Dual credit courses provide opportunities for students working toward a high school diploma to study post-secondary courses and apply them for credit at both the secondary and post-secondary levels. For example, with prior approval, a university Sociology course may be listed on a high school transcript as “Sociology 42U” and counted as one of the credits needed for graduation. Financial Accounting 42C on a high school transcript would represent a college accounting course that was approved as a dual credit and used as one of the credits needed for graduation.

For more information, ask your teacher or go to http://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/ael/all/publications/dc_report.pdf or one of the many other sites that refer to Dual Credits.